Monday, November 5, 2012

The Eve of the 2012 US Elections, and the Fate of Gold


In spite of myself, I have been rather excited about the US elections. Not that I think it really matters who wins; it doesn't. But I do like watching friends and the media make a big deal about this sideshow among two guys who think they bring anything different to the table.

The outcome of Barack Obama versus Mitt Romney (I'm surprised I still remember their names) is as irrelevant as a flip of the coin. Yet I find it strange that some analysts are judging the bullishness of gold based on election results. I can understand if a lot of people think that Romney is going to be more financially 'conservative' than Obama, but it won't be too long before more QE is unleashed, whether or not it is called QE, and whether or not Ben Bernanke heads the Federal Reserve. People will realize soon enough that asset prices won't be stabilizing anytime in the near or medium term.

I can wager that regardless of who wins, gold is a BUY. At the moment, prices are somewhat hovering, but don't be deceived into thinking that could last. Even at the moment, if you go around gold stores in Singapore, you'll find it a little bit more difficult to acquire a specific coin you have in mind. You might have to settle for current years, or the more popular ones like Maples. I myself am not too particular about the numismatic aspect so buying .999 or .9999 gold in any form is all good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment